Breakfast in an airport in São Paulo

After nine months of working in retail, thinking about brushing up my Spanish (but never actually doing it) and planning my next big adventure, it’s finally here. I am currently sat in an airport in São Paulo, Brazil, waiting for my next flight to Buenos Aires with my lovely boyfriend, Ollie, who is taking the piss out of everything I write.


Ollie and I

But, as my mum has always told me, I should document my experiences, mainly so she can read them and know exactly what I’m up to. I also have to text her everyday, even if my message is just ‘K’. That’s 40p per text put to good use there.

For anyone who doesn’t know, I am travelling around South America for three months: 1st September 2016 to 1st December 2016. My boyfriend, Ollie, and I are visiting Argentina and Chile together before he has to return to begin his Masters at Oxford (nerd) in October. Then I will be continuing on my own through the north of Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Brazil.

I thought, as every travel blogger does, my first posts would consist of my preparation for my trip. Instead, I spent a lot of my time in Meadowhall (my local shopping mall) buying last minute items, like malaria tablets and a rucksack (you think I would have planned ahead with those…). I also thought that I would make a packing list of all the items I’m taking with me in case anyone else decides to travel to the same places but, being a serial over-packer, this proved impossible. You can see how many clothes I initially planned on taking (I had to cut down a lot since they didn’t actually fit in the bag).


A reasonable amount of clothes…

As anyone who knows me might have guessed, I had plenty of drama prior to catching my flight at Heathrow. I had a reaction to my new contact lenses two days before I left. This meant, on the day of travel, I was in Specsavers, desperately pleading with them to let me buy some daily disposable lenses so I wouldn’t have to lug five bottles of special saline solution around for my monthly contacts. I am eternally grateful for their help. I also managed to fall over in the street and literally land in a gutter just before I left…

So instead, my blog begins now. In a cold airport at 8:45 in the morning, sitting at the table of a closed café. We flew with LATAM (a South American airline) who served surprisingly good gnocchi but desperately needed more toilets (I was waiting for 20 minutes). We also had a perplexing moment where we thought we’d booked different flights to each other but Cesar, the check-in man, assured us it was just a fault in the system. The same fault that said we’d been upgraded to first class but we were actually still in economy…

We’re looking forward to the next flight and arriving in Buenos Aires in the afternoon. Until next time!

A little game: spot the dog


Waiting for my Megabus to London


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s